Monday, January 7, 2008

Niteroi, Niemeyer and Welcome To The Sambadrome









Yesterday was a little grey so we decided to do some sightseeing, we took a ferry across the bay to the town of Niteroi to see the amazing spaceship shaped art museum by Niemyer, it is definately an amzing sculpture , and beautifully situated. Every detail is perfect in that there is a certain rawness to the construction that helps it age well.

After that, we walked through the deserted downtown area to the Sambadrome, where there were rehearsals going on for Carnival. I´ve never seen anything like it, it was like a sporting event for aesthetics. We only saw two schools, but they play the songs over and over again so that I woke up this morning with them stuck in my head.
Eduardo was trying to explain the details to me, so it did make a little more sense to me than it has in the past, but the main thing I felt was an incredible surge of excitement the closer and closer the drummers got to us and the thousands of voices filling the stadium was pretty amazing too0...we could hear it for blocks away.

No comments: