Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vince Aletti The Disco Files


Who knew that New Yorker photo critic (and co-curator of The stunning ICP show of Avedon's fashion work) Vince Aletti was one of the earliest chronicler's of disco! Well truth be told, I did because we have been friends ever since I turned my studio in the basement of what is now Pimps and pinups into a gallery called "The Stanlow Ludston Gallery" (its at the corner of Ludlow and Stanton...get it?!)

Aletti's weekly column for record world, including top ten lists from dj's all over the country began in 1974, and every one is reproduced here along with an articile Aletti wrote for Rolling Stone in 1973 called "Discoteque Rock". Its a must have more info here on the publisher's website

You can also read a brilliant review of the book by Jon Savage here I've been reading it in my studio ever since receiving it from Vince two days ago and I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Mim said...

After reading your post, I miss New York.