Saturday, March 5, 2011

Windham Mountain




I got to go skiing this week, it's something I've wanted to do ever since I moved to New York. Growing up in Minnesota I used to go skiing whenever possible, every weekend and all through Christmas break. I loved it. I wasn't very sociable and that was a great way to be alone and very much in the present. My cousin Lizzie is a ski instructor at Windham, a couple of hours north of NYC. She's been there for over 10 years and every year she has invited me. We like each other a lot and always enjoy each other's company immensely, we were actually born something like 12 hours apart so we are very similar in a lot of ways. But every year there was some reason I couldn't go, no money, too much work, waiting to hear when my boyfriend in Budapest or Brazil would be able to see me so just putting everything on hold for them. This year I decided to prioritize skiing, thinking of how happy it would make me and we just did it and it made me immensely happy. I hadn't been on a pair of skis in many years but it all came back to me immediately. We tried the simplest, gentlest runs, Lizzie gave me a few pointers and before long I was totally keeping up with her. We kept trying harder and harder runs and I was able to do it all....it was immensely fun skiing and being with this wonderful member of my family and doing it for me.

No comments: