Saturday, December 22, 2007

Rachel Harrison is Homosapien Too


Rachel is one of the most fascinating artists around these days. We were in two group shows together very early on in my career and right from the start I've been intrigued and confounded by what she makes. There have been hundreds, probably thousands of articles written on her work and though i haven't read them all....every writer seems to take a completely different approach to her work. There seems to be no one definitive reading of any of her pieces and for me that's what makes them fascinating. Though there are strong visual references and clues, when I try and put the pieces together it never comes together as a cohesive whole, there is no linear narrative to follow, but this doesn't frustrate me, on the contrary, it gives me a sense of relief. Like here's another person like me, trying to organize all the information that she takes in through all of her senses and although the conclusions are illogical, they're deeply satisfying. I think that the best art is the most deeply personal, the personal = the universal. my favorite piece of hers is called "bustle in the hedgerow" and although I found an image of it online, it really doesn't do it justice, of course all sculpture really has to be experienced in person and if you are in new york right now check out Unmonumental at the new museum, Rachel has some work in that. The piece here might give you some idea of the different kinds of information Rachel uses and how she works with it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Take a look at the article I wrote in Trans magazine in 2001 called The Harrison Effect, its the issue with the Paul McCarthy Bubblegum cover