Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving



I certainly have a lot to be thankful for, today and always. I appreciate that more and more every day. Last year at this time my thoughts were on a place far away from here and a time in the future. I had a solo show up at a great gallery here in NYC and lots of great friends to be with, it was a really good time for me but I wasn't really focused on where my feet were.

A lot of the worthless things and noncommittal people that took up so much space in my life a year ago just aren't there anymore. I'm focusing more on the present and being happy with what I have. It's like I was a cat that was being taunted with a toy and I was constantly reaching for the vague indifferent promises that were being dangled in front of me. Some of the people that I placed so much value on had all kinds of vague commitments somewhere else so they were unable to just show up and be present. I had a lot of people in my life who were sort of keeping me around as an option, but then I stopped reaching for these vague promises of somewhere, sometime and looked at where I was and what was around me and realized, I had enough, I had MORE than enough. There were tons of opportunities and options right there in front of me. I was surrounded by so many people who cared about me and were only too willing to commit to a place and time and show up and be present and engaged, to open up and share everything they had inside, thoughts, feelings and insecurities....and to listen to mine and really care, all that was there all along .....right there in front of me but I didn't see it. I'm thankful for the lessons I've been taught and I hope to keep learning for a very long time.

No comments: