Sunday, September 6, 2009

Lanvin




The clothes that Lucas Ossendrijver creates for the label Lanvin fascinate me. When ever I see them in a store I'm inexplicibly drawn to them, I want to touch them , feel them and try them on. I want to be the person that wears these kinds of clothes. The prices are ridiculous, way out my ballpark, 700.00 for pants, 600.00 to 1,200.00 for a shirt, 4,000 for a jacket. I was at the Barney's warehouse sale last summer with my friends Van and Mark and AA, mMark had found a Lanvin jacket marked down to 500.00 we all tried it on, I fell madly in love, I had no money and I realized right there and then that a white sportcoat with lace and netting sewn on and a ruched front had no place in my life, I would never wear it, but still I loved it. Mark still regrets not having gotten it.

At this years Barneys sale there was Tons of Lanvin, a polka dot polo shirt for $200.00, a rumpled Linen Tuxedo jacket (no pants thou) for $100.00 shiny cotten trousers for $80.00. I tried these all on and realized that they were all fairly impractical, though it was great fun trying them on...it would have been a bit of a stretch financially to buy any of them, though with creative financing I could have pulled it off...but in the end I realized I wanted the lifestyle, the persona embodied by these clothes and not the clothes themselves. Owning the rumpled linen tuxedo jacket wasn't necessarily gonna make me the person who gets invited to the kind of events where you wear one...and so I passed. Maybe I'll check back tomorrow though and see if those pants get marked down just a little bit more....those might just fit into my lifestyle.

No comments: