Friday, September 25, 2009

Waning Days of Summer




I had a really fun couple of days at Asbury park on The NJ shore. My friend Robert invited me to spend the night at his really cool house there and we made dinner and caught up on all the comings and goings of our lives, then went to see the Kareoke singers at Georgies. Yesterday when we woke up it was HOT , like summertime hot, the sun was out and we thought, let's go to the beach! It was a perfect beach day and there were maybe 15 other people on this huge beach. It was great, but it seemed kind of crazy too, to be canceling appointments and work to go hang out at the beach 2 weeks past labor day, when all the kids are back in school and most adults have put summer behind them. It felt like we were trying to hang on to something that most people had already let go of.

It was the only time I went to Asbury this summer and the summer before I went there only once too. I used to have so many friends there and would go down almost every weekend, but slowly things have been changing. Some friends moved away, others just changed and my world changed too. I miss some of my old friends even when they are still around, I miss who they were, but I have to accept those people are gone, inhabiting a past that's never to return. Of course change is a good thing, some of my friends have given up their old destructive habits, moved on and become the person they were always meant to be, some of them have become bitter recluses emerging from their shell every once and a while to rail against the world and all of the changes and the injustices that they feel have been piled onto their shoulders. It can be hard to remember that change really is good, or at least it's inevitable...and when I think of all the opportunities that have been presented to me, it's much more amazing than anything I could have asked for. I'm looking forward to what ever's next.

2 comments:

E.S. said...

You know. Mercedes Sosa die today. She was one of the most influent political singers during the dictature in Argentina and while she was in exile she wrote a song called "Todo Cambia" (Everything changes).
That's right my friend. I read this here and I put this song at the Megvilagosodas at the same time. Everything changes. People, weather, love, friends and even the we think changes.

E.S. said...

You know. Mercedes Sosa died today. She was one of the most influent political singers during the dictature in Argentina and while she was in exile in Europe she wrote a song called "Todo Cambia" (Everything changes).
That's right my friend. I read this here and I put this song at the Megvilagosodas at the same time. Everything changes. People, weather, love, friends and even the way we think changes