Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Favorite Meal In China


It was in the province of Guangdong , aka Canton, In the City of Guangzhou in a restaurant right next to our hotel. I went in to this big multi level palace of food, looked at the pics in the menu and decided on 3 dishes, fish, noodles and vegetables....the waitress told me no, no and no, they were out? It was too late? ...who knows....then I found this dish with beef and vegetables, it was all deep fried with no batter, just deep fried in oil...the vegetables in neat little piles and along with the beef were some kind of vegetable chips and something like deep fried mayonaise. The whole dish was heaven,clean,light and fresh tasting, lots of variety perfectly married. The second best meal I had was the night before just as we arrived in Guangzhou, our plane was late and someone was at the airport to pick us up...since we got in late , there was no time to go to the hotel and drop me off before the business dinner so I was graciously invited along. We had a private room in a big dining palace on the pearl river, with giant windows overlooking the brightly lit modern art museum across the water.My friend's associates ordered and ordered and ordered some more and everythung was on a giant lazy susan in the middle of the table....fish, chickn, vegetables, noodles, beef, rice....it was all outrageously good...even the chicken head in the center of the plate that held the cold chicken dish didnt bother me, that much...but I kept picking at the fish, getting every last scrap of flesh but not wanting to turn it over as that would seem so....obvious or something...instead it just sat there and went home in somebody's doggy bag, but those few bits I had were unforgettable....

No comments: