Monday, April 7, 2008

WACK at PS1






I saw this show of feminest art last week and it really stuck with. I walked out of there thinking " I have no idea what it is like to be a woman", i really don't, I can't imagine. Thats half of the people that I share this planet with, right off the bat I can never fully understand. I would say thats pretty powerfull art if it can drive home a concept like that to me. defiantely a reason to come back and spend some time with this very important show. Jerry Saltzs' assessment in New York magazine that " this exhibition shows us the birth of just about every art trend that's in vogue today" definately rang true. Room after room, this work made exclusively by females and mostly from the 70's, looked like a tour through the hippest chelsea galleries of today. There was so much work there that I liked, standouts include Ketty LaRocca, one of the few females to be considered part of the Italian Art Povera group. La Rocca died at around 40, but left behind an imnpressive body of conceptual works like"Verbum, Paroloa, ..." pictured here, Margaret Henderson's depictions of emasculated male superheroes and barbed wire bound female superheroes in outfits that predated and possibly influenced Miyake and Gaultier. Maria Lassing, Suzy Lake, Lynda Benglis and Nancy Grossman all looked great along with a brazilian whose name escapes me, but made the 2 sided drawing of letters depicted above, and this amazing colloge painting of stones in 4 panels also pictured above. And I also loved Joan Semmel's Erotic Yellow, pictured above

No comments: