Friday, March 28, 2008

Jim Hodges at CRG



It's always a pleasure to go into CRG gallery, Carla, Richard and Glen have a really rare passion for what they show, they are very accessible friendly and open , I always come out of there having had an interchange of some sort. They really are an artist's gallery. Today they were showing 2 new, very weird pieces by Jim Hodges. Both of them were rooms of some sort. One is a circular room made of vertical white canvases , each with an image made of gold leaf. The second is made of raw wood with saloon - type doors...it smelled great inside of there .One wall is made of steel dagger type pieces and the bright light of the inside makes a shadow into the darkness outside. It immediately made me think of being in my Dad's cabin in the north woods of Minnesota and that feeling of waking up in the middle of the night, turning on the lights and looking out into an inky darkness scared and thrilled at what might be out there...just like every day of my life..when I am lucky, and that's most of the time. Jim is one of the most amazing artists of my generation.

No comments: